Well it is officially springtime now! Even though our temperatures here in Baltimore, Columbia and Ellicott City, MD are still hovering lower than we would want them to, and the snow just doesn’t seem to want to get out of the forecast, the changing seasons are upon us.
Spring is a time of rebirth, rejuvenation and rigorous cleaning rituals. Whether you have plan to deep clean your home or not, there is one thing that you need to make sure you don’t leave off your spring clean list: your car. Whether you drive a car, truck, SUV, minivan or hybrid automobile, winter was tough on your vehicle. It needs some TLC to get it ready to function properly in the summer! Many people do not realize that cleaning your car is actually a very important vehicle maintenance service, and failing to do so can have a negative affect on your vehicle’s performance.
Our expert mechanics have compiled this list of 6 tips for spring-cleaning your car to help you keep your vehicle running its best.
1. Only use soaps that are designed to wash a car. Regular kitchen soaps or detergents can contain chemicals that may damage your vehicle or its paint job.
2. Never wash your car in direct sunlight. Direct sunlight can leave spots on your car as your car dries, and greatly wears down the paint.
3. Lighten your load. Remove heavy, excess cargo from your trunk or the interior of your vehicle that you may have collected over the winter months. Carrying unnecessary weight in your car slows it down on the road and reduces fuel efficiency significantly.
4. Vacuum the inside of your vehicle. Crumbs and food particles will attract ants and other critters now that it’s getting warm outside!
5. Don’t forget to clean under your car. It’s important that you hose down the undercarriage and wheels of your vehicle to remove salt buildup from the winter roads. There are many vital auto parts under your car that are exposed to the elements, and forgetting to clean them can lead to rust and other expensive damage.
6. Inspect your vehicle for rust. Take a look under your car or around any dings or dents for signs of rust. If you notice anything suspicious it’s best to let your trusted auto repair mechanic in Baltimore know right away to prevent further damage.
While you are spring-cleaning your car, make sure you keep an eye out for anything that looks out of the ordinary. Also make sure you pay special attention as you are driving to see if you notice any new noises or feel any changes in your cars ride. If you do notice anything, or you would just like to get your automobile checked out with the changing seasons, you can always bring your car to one of AutoStream Car Care Center’s three convenient auto repair shops in Baltimore, Ellicott City and Columbia, MD. Our expert mechanics are here to answer all of your car maintenance questions and are always happy to help!